To fill out an Affidavit of Service Form 8A, follow the instructions on the form. You must describe:
- The name of the person who served the document (e.g. you or a representative or friend) and where they are from;
- The name of the person who was served;
- When the document was served (day, month and year);where the document was served (e.g. house number, apartment number, street name, city, and province);
- What document was served (e.g. a claim, defence, or notice of motion); and
- The method of service (e.g. by personal service, service at place of residence, service by registered mail, courier, regular letter-mail, or fax).
If you served the documents, then you must swear or affirm that the information in your affidavit of service is true. If you had another person serve the documents, then that person must fill out the affidavit of service and swear or affirm that the information in the affidavit is true.
The affidavit must be signed in front of a person authorized to take oaths and affirmations (i.e. a commissioner for taking affidavits). The commissioner will ask the person making the affidavit to swear or affirm that the information in the affidavit is true, will ask that person to sign the affidavit, and will sign the affidavit as sworn or affirmed. Do not sign the affidavit before going to the commissioner.
Note: It is a criminal offence to swear or affirm an affidavit you know is false.